Friday, July 29, 2011

YUGA Camp Through the Eyes of Johnnie

Written by Johnnie, a 1st year camper from Washington, DC

I learned a lot at YUGA camp. I learned that when voices come to together they can make a difference, and that is YUGA's goal. I developed a better understanding of the world around me. Meeting new people was probably my favorite part; I really enjoyed getting to know each and every individual. YUGA helped me think about the world more and what goes on in other countries like the Dominican Republic, Haiti, or the Netherlands. Meeting people from each country made the experience feel real. The earthquake in Haiti for example, meeting people that actually went through it made it feel real; It is a different feeling compared to reading about it or seeing it in the news, you can know that someone knows what it felt like. Each person who has been a YUGA camper is a person who firmly believes that change can happen and they would like to help. I am so happy I was fortunate enough to be a YUGA camper. It feels like I have know each person forever. I really think I have made life-long friends and I am steps closer to making the world a better place for all of the people.
(Johnnie, pictured above, with fellow campers from around the United States, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic)

No comments:

Post a Comment